An oval coffee table for a living room seems to be a rather unusual choice. Very often, you prefer to use a rectangular table because of an obvious reason: your sofas or couches are arranged in such an angular way (straight or L-shaped) that a rectangular table is the most aesthetically pleasing choice to be paired with them.
Oval Coffee Table
Solid Mindy Ash Oval Coffee Table
This, however, doesn’t mean that an oval table is a bad choice for a living room. Here we will explore the pros and cons of having an oval table as your coffee table, the alternative shapes you can also choose for your coffee table, and how to choose the best oval table for your living room.
The Pros and Cons of an Oval Coffee Table
Oval Shaped Glass Coffee Table
There are both advantages and disadvantages of choosing an oval coffee table for your living room. Take them into consideration and make sure that your final decision is based on the estimation that the advantages of having an oval table substantially outweigh its disadvantages. The advantages of having an oval table as your living room’s centerpiece can be explained as follows.
Reclaimed Wood Oval Coffee Table
- An oval coffee table has no corner. If you have children who use your living room as their playing ground, this zero-corner structure can be a real advantage for their safety.
- The traffic around an oval table is noticeably easier and smoother because you don’t have to deal with corners when moving around the table. This can be a clear advantage especially if you put the table in a rather tight and restricted living room.
- An oval coffee table is considered more democratic than its rectangular counterpart. You will have no problem talking to people next to you and across the table if you use an oval table. In a living room where guests and hosts have many talks with each other, this democracy creates a warmer and friendlier atmosphere.
- Aesthetically, an oval table gives off a much softer and smoother look. Even if you apply a modern interior design that relies much on clean lines and geometries, an oval table will not break the norm.
- Like a rectangular table, an oval table also works better in a smaller living room.
- An oval coffee table also works well with all types of living room, regardless of their overall shape, their design, and their available space.
Oval Shape Glass Top Coffee Table
Dark Oval Coffee Table for Grey and Green Small Living Room Ideas
There are also certain features of an oval table that may raise your concern if you choose it as a coffee table in your living room.
Varnished Mid Century Living Room Oval Coffee Table
- An oval coffee table, as mentioned at the beginning of this article, may not suit the arrangement of your sofa or couch. A straight, L-shaped, or U-shaped arrangement of living room furniture, including sofas, cabinets, etc.generally suits a cornered table, be it rectangular or square. A table without corner, including round and oval tables, are more often chosen for dining purpose, where the accompanying dining chairs can be arranged in a more flexible way to follow the flow of the table’s edge.
- An oval coffee table is considered less formal than a rectangular table. If you greet important guests very often in your living room, a coffee table with a rectangular or square shape is considered a safer bet.
- An oval table is often the hardest table to clothe. Finding square and rectangular tablecloths is an easy task because they are very common. If you have a round table, finding a tablecloth with the right diameter may not always be easy; however, because a round table has one center point, any round tablecloths with any diameters will look better on it. Finding a tablecloth for an oval table can be a real challenge. The two foci of an oval make it hard to find a tablecloth whose shape and size are congruent with the shape and size of the table.
White Marble Two Tier Living Room Oval Coffee Table
You need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of having an oval coffee table based on the explanation above. If choosing it seems to be more disadvantageous than advantageous, you may need to pick another shape for your coffee table. A round or square table is better for larger rooms or larger living room furniture arrangements and a rectangular table is better for more formal occasions.
Oval Two Tier Glass Living Room Coffee Table
How to Buy an Oval Coffee Table
If your final choice falls on an oval coffee table, there are several important things that you should mind when buying the table.
1. The Height
The top of a coffee table, regardless of its shape, should not be higher than the cushion of your sofa. In other words, the tabletop’s height should be either the same with or a little bit lower than the height of the cushion. A two-inch difference in height between the tabletop and the cushion is often the most preferred.
Oval Glass Coffee Table Two Inch Lower Than Sofa
2. The Cloth
As mentioned above, finding a suitable tablecloth for your oval coffee table is often a real pain. It is better for you to buy accompanying tablecloths (don’t buy only one) when you buy the coffee table.
Black And White Modern Oval Coffee Table Cloth
3. The Proportion
Being proportional is important when you want to pair your sofa with your coffee table. When you are getting ready to buy the table, be sure to measure the length of your sofa or couch first. The table’s length should be about two-thirds the length of your sofa. If you use an L-shaped sofa arrangement, measure the longer leg of the arrangement as a reference.
Classic Oval Coffee Table Mirror Top With L Shape Sofa
4. The Balance
Keeping a good balance between the structure of your sofa and that of your oval coffee table is important. A perfect balance is created by counterbalancing the “weight” of your living room furniture. If you have sofas with long legs, don’t choose a similarly leggy table because doing so will create a weird-looking combination that is not grounded. A leggy sofa should be paired with a solid table and conversely a solid sofa with short legs should be paired with a leggy table.
Modern Oval Coffee Table Glass Top With Grey Sofa Modern Living Room
By knowing the advantages and disadvantages of an oval coffee table and knowing how to choose the right one, the table that you finally put in your living room is guaranteed to be the best one.